The last two weeks of December pretty much breezed by.
There were endless get-togethers, last-minute shopping sprees and gift wrappings, family reunions with overabundance of food (with everything seemingly delectable, yummy but utterly sinful, and totally irresistible)… And we wonder how we gained those unwanted pounds. 😦
I can personally say, though, that aside from the full stomach, December left me with a full heart, too. A heart full of love and joy.
Spending time with family and friends reminded me what true joy is about… what love is about. It is about having a certain sense of belonging and acceptance. It is about knowing that you are with people you love and who also love you back, regardless of who you are, what you have been through… People who are ready and willing to accept your flaws and quirks.
It is about feeling at home and armed with the knowledge that there are people who value you, who will stand by you and protect you when need be.
When you have joy and love in your heart, you are somewhat braver to face whatever tomorrow brings. It gives you courage to conquer the new year and whatever surprises it has in store.
❤ ❤ ❤
I am a “New Year’s Resolutions” person. It has been a childhood practice of mine to list down the things I ‘promise’ I will do (or in some cases, not do) in the coming year.
Yes, I normally start with : Lose five pounds… And truth be told, I don’t think I ever lost those five pounds. Maybe sometimes I do, but I most likely gain them back when December comes… plus a couple more. 😦
When no one else knows about your resolutions, chances are you will end up ignoring them or forgetting them altogether. It is never easy to lose those five pounds, you know. It IS easier to forget that you even thought of wanting to lose weight.
And so, to challenge myself this year, let me share with you my 2017 resolutions.
If you are a friend and you see that I am getting off track, feel free to tap me on the shoulder — or send me a text message– and let me know. I will try not to feel bad nor get offended (…nor punch you on the face). Promise. 🙂
Here goes — in no particular order of importance…
My 2017 ‘Be a Better Me’ list:
- lose at least five (5) pounds. Yes, this still tops the list.
- eat healthier.
- walk more.
- have regular spa treatments (facial, massage, etc.)
- not scrimp on good moisturizers and body lotions.
- wear more skirts and dresses.
- be more positive; get rid of negativity and grudges.
- leave hurtful events, people, memories behind.
- do my best not to get easily offended by other people.
- smile more; be friendlier.
- learn how to take a compliment.
- laugh at/make fun of myself more; learn how to loosen up.
- be more patient with people, even the difficult ones — most especially, the difficult and overbearing ones.
- read my bible daily.
- fill my head and my heart with worship and praise songs.
- NOT listen to sad songs, especially when I am having an off day… they simply don’t help.
- talk to my parents and spend time with them regularly.
- make more time for my friends.
- write more.
- start writing my next book.
- NOT be embarrassed to share my work, my talent and my thoughts.
- still take selfies as much as I can, and enjoy every minute of it!
- take photos to document my day.
- make more picture books / photo albums.
- read more books — one book a month, at the very least.
- learn — really learn — a new language.
- travel to a country I have never been to.
- always be grateful for the blessings, whether big or small.
Phew, that was quite a lot. I can still think of others, but this should do for now…
I know I will have hits and misses along the way… But aren’t we so blessed to have the chance to start on a clean slate? We have twelve new months ahead of us.
Twelve months that we can spend trying to be a better version of what we already are.
Twelve months of keeping the joy in our hearts… in our lives.
Because I said I’ll take more selfies (I guess I have this one covered)…
And because I also said I will laugh at/make fun of myself more… 🙂
Happy new year, everyone! Here’s to an exciting year.
photos are all mine, obviously… 😉